Thursday, August 16, 2007

A teeny vent, and tooting my own horn

I hate judgmental idiots. I really do.
If you feel like this applies to you, then take some time to think about it. If not- then you are probably right!

There are things I don't know, and things I am not good at.
(I'm not really sure what these things are- but they must exist, right? lol)

I am very good at being a mom. I work my ASS off to ensure it.
I am in tune with my kids. I know them better than anyone else does (seems obvious, right? you would think). I do things the way I do things, not just out of randomness or stupidity. FOR A REASON.
I do my research. I ask questions. I stay up to date on health issues. I understand a good bit about child development.
I am not some dumb hillbilly that just pops out babies willy-nilly, and lets them run crazy.

I put an immense amount of thought into EVERY decision.
I believe in letting my kids be who they are. I guide them with a gentle hand through life. I don't believe that children should be trained like dogs, or treated like pets in any manner. I treat mine as little PEOPLE, who think and feel, and are entitled to their opinions.
I let them explore their world in whatever way is comfortable to them- as long as they are safe.

I can NOT stand for someone to not respect my mothering.
Especially people who don't have a clue themselves. Honestly.
You may not agree with my parenting style- but if you know anything, you can at least RESPECT it and see where I am coming from.

Not only am I a kick-ass GOOD mom. I am a cool mom.
We do fun things. We have what all the other kids have, within reason. (I also try to teach them that they don't need everything the other kids have)
My kids have name brand clothes- not because I care about brands- but because they are good quality and they actually fit Lucy!

I may not dress myself like a fashionista, but I see nothing about Gymboree or Hanna Andersson to turn your nose up at. I like cute clothes, not flashy logos. We seek comfort and quality, and I pay well for it. Yes, I try my damndest to get it on sale, lol, but that doesn't make it cheap!

What you see my kids wearing at the grocery store or the park is nothing to judge us by, much less what they wear in their very own home. We save the "good" clothes for school and parties. Why risk ruining them with a Popsicle?
The rest of the time, they wear what they want- be that a Spiderman costume, a pajama top, or just underwear. That is called "letting them be in control of their environment," and "letting them be comfortable." It's not called "Lazy mom."

I actually feel assaulted when I can see "that look." When I can hear that tone of voice saying "your mother shouldn't let you do that" or "your mother should dress you better."
Why waste energy judging and critiquing someone else's child?
It gets you nowhere. All it does is piss me off, and make me want to shut you out.

My kids are "handled," despite what you may think.
We have a *controlled chaos* type of theme, and it works for our family.
Our loving, HAPPY, thriving little family.

You will never understand what works for our family, because you really don't know us at all. And you don't know as much as you think you know, either.
Once you figure that all out- you'll live a much happier life!

2 comments:

christine said...

huh...did i miss something?

Rebecca said...

Goodness.... sorry someone made you mad enough to post that! {{HUGS}}