ALREADY!
We applied. He's been tested.
School starts in 2 weeks, and we haven't heard ANYthing.
I chatted with another mom about the program, and she told me something that kind of made my stomach churn.
Firstly- there is a LOT of homework.
More troubling, though is that it seems that they cut out most of the arts and crafts, so that the DLK kids can "keep up" with regular kindergarten.
Arts and crafts are EXTREMELY important to me. They were the only thing I actually loved about school.
Arts, and creative writing.
Jacob is a VERY artistic child. He will THRIVE in creative classes, just like I did as a kiddo.
So, honestly- I am scared.
I am also kind of pissed.
IF my kid gets into the DLK, will I even want him in it?
I feel like I am flying blind here.
They have given us ZERO information on the program.
School starts in 2 WEEKS. 14 days from tomorrow. And I know diddly squat about where my baby will go and what he will learn. Much less do I feel like I am making choices that are best for him... I don't even know if I CAN make the choice. We did apply for the program. Does that mean if he gets in, he's just IN!?
And speaking of my irritation with the school- I got a letter on Thursday- Aug 9. The mail came at 1pm.
As follows:
To the parents of Jacob C.
We will be having a new student orientation at the school on Aug 9, from 11am-12pm.
WTF!?
Thanks for the warning, jack asses!
Obviously, we didn't make it. I was seriously steamed.
I think I hate this school already.
If for some reason he doesn't get into DLK- I can tell you, it will be a RELIEF! A small disappointment, and a huge weight off of my shoulders.
My child needs art. I want him to draw and paint, and make macaroni necklaces!
I don't want to start "nose to the grindstone" at the tender age of 5!
Yes- of course his education is of the utmost importance. But if he hates school- how well will he really do?
I also place a HIGH value on creativity, independent thinking, self expression, artistic release, pride in something you created...
I want these for my children. MORE than I want them to be bilingual, without question.
Yet More Feeling Better Girl Lunches
1 year ago



No comments:
Post a Comment