The kids have been sick for a couple of days now. When they started complaining of ear pain, we decided we'd better go see the doctor.
$50 in copays, and over an hour of waiting later- 3 infected ears (2 for Jacob, 1 for Lucy), and 4 infected eyes.
I drop everyone off at home and go to the pharmacy about 4 hours later.
"The Rx aren't ready, come back in 30 minutes."
I come back in 30 mins. Lucy's are ready. They have nothing for Jacob.
I tell them to give me hers, and I'll call the dr tomorrow about his.
"Do you not have insurance?"
Yes, I have insurance. We fill several Rx here a month. We filled one for Lucy 2 months ago. And used our insurance.
"Do you have the card?" I dig in my purse for 20 minutes. No card. Well, I have a
dental card.
So we go through the lengthy process of verifying insurance.
Then the great news- with insurance applied- they antibx are only $10, and they eye drops are "Down to $50."
$50!?!?!?!?!?!?! (and bear in mind, this is only for 1 of the 2 children!)
Have I mentioned lately that we are struggling a bit? (a nice way of saying BROKE!!!) With my husband not working and all...?
So I pay my $60.
Then I stand around, woozy exhausted and crampy, waiting another 15 minutes for them to mix the damned antibx. Because no one could do that during the last 2 hours that I've been trying to pick them up.
And then I come home.
I remember, as it is taking both myself and Cotton to hold Lucy down for eyedrops, that my daughter is an absolute WILDCAT. OMG she is freaking STRONG!
And we have to do this 3 times a day for the next week.
But wait... Cotton has surgery in the morning. He can't fight Lucy anymore. I'll have to do it alone. Fun fun fun. Kill me now.
And by the way, our pediatrician is fired.
There is no excuse for leaving us sitting in the exam room for over an hour, with 2 small and sick children. Unacceptable.
And I didn't ask for his opinion on my homebirth, or whether he thinks I need and emergency back up plan. I only asked him to examine my big kids, thanks.
And I don't agree with scare tactics- such as telling me my baby will hemorrhage to death without a vitamin K injection, or that he will go blind without silver nitrate drops.
In fact, I should thank him for showing me that I don't want him to see my baby at all! I can only imagine his stance on delaying and selecting vaccinations!
We've decided to take Baby Sam to our GP, who we happen to adore. And who answered my vax questions with "Well, I prefer X. But it is YOUR BABY, and if Y is your choice- we will work together."
It's a good thing I came home with a pint of brownie overload ice cream. I really need it tonight.
Wish us luck tomorrow. Cotton goes in at 10:30. I'll have both kids with me because, well... they are sick and contagious. They need their mom, and no one else needs their germs.
I am nervous about sending my love into surgery. I hate it. But the sooner he goes, the sooner he heals, right?
I'll update ASAP on Cotton...
And I'll give you the 34 weeks details later, when I am more capable of thinking happy thoughts.