Friday, January 18, 2008

Proud Momma

Cotton went up to the school today to give Jacob's teachers some soccer fliers.
Little did we know that the kiddos were having assessments done today. When Cotton got there, Jacob was smack in the middle of his own test: sight words, in Spanish.

Now, last night we practiced sight words (those being words that he just memorizes and recognizes immediately). In English. And I had to call Cotton in the room because Jacob was blowing thru a stack of like 50 flashcards, and the few words he didn't know- he sounded out and read to me! I had to show someone!

So when Jacob finished his test today, his Spanish teacher called Cotton in to watch him do this set of words. And wouldn't you know, the little stinker got 100% of them!
Cotton was amazed- he was all gushing "on the ones he didn't know, he sounded them out and READ them. In SPANISH! he is reading in Spanish!!"

Now, we talked last night about this very subject. About how other people's kindergarten kids are reading (well, and some of these people we don't believe, lol, but many kids I know in K really are reading).
We didn't consider Jacob to be actually reading yet. Learning to read, absolutely. But he doesn't sit down and read an entire book yet. Okay, he reads little books with 3 words per page... but you know what I mean. He isn't a 100% independently reading person.
And a lot of people have asked me "aren't you worried that he will fall behind regular kindergarten, because of the Spanish thing?"

Let me tell you- I am THRILLED!
He has been in school for 4.5 months, and is quite obviously learning to read. He can sound out any word you put in front of him.
But what I really love is that he is learning to read in 2 languages, side by side. Reading in Spanish will come just as naturally as reading in English. And frankly- that kicks butt.
Say he is a teensy weensy bit behind "regular kindergarten" in some skills- like reading. He knows more Spanish than any of the adults in our family.
His teachers both told Cotton he is doing wonderfully, picking things up quickly, and also that he is very sweet... awww...

of course, I have always known he was sweet, and bright, and also ridiculously beautiful to boot. But it really is very nice to hear it from the school.

So. All of that to say that I think my little man is quite the keeper. And his momma is so very proud of him!

5 comments:

Nicole said...

That's awesome! And, it sounds like he's right on track with kids who are only reading in ONE language. :) I know plenty of kindergartners who aren't ready yet. :) So, the fact that he is reading in two languages DOES kick butt. Yay Jacob!

Rebecca said...

Awesome!! SOOOOOO gush-worthy! :D

I have a friend who is Swiss and speaks several languages. She speaks French to her daughter, and her DH speaks English. So, yes, it took a while longer for her to be "talking" but she's completely bi-lingual now!

I'm sure that's completely normal in his Kindergarten, anyway.

Go Jacob! :D

Patty said...

My oldest child was reading before she started kindergarten, and counting to 100.
She is extremely intellegient and outspoken.
I remember her sending notes from friends back to them with mis-spelled words corrected.
When she was three, when asked her name, she would tell people,
"My name is Krysta, K-R-Y-S-T-A!"
Maybe, my grandson inherited his superhero intellegience from his mom!

Shannon said...

Way to go Jacob!

It sounds about on par with non-Spanish kindergarten as well. Faith is reading simple books, but like you said, things like 3-5 words per page. There are a few in her class reading, but they came in reading, she's not interested until she can do it perfectly. :oP

Chelsea said...

That's awesome! Way to go Jacob! You SHOULD be super proud!
I think it is SO COOL that he is learning to read in Spanish as well. I wish Chloe's school offered something like that!