Sunday, December 09, 2007

biting the bullet

At what point do you give in and buy something that you REALLY don't want to buy?

Lucy has Barbie dolls. Naked, fingernail polished, ratty haired little things.
Their clothes are lost, their furniture is scattered to the ends of the Earth.
She loves them, but she treats them very badly.

Well. Damn you Mattel. You and your overpriced, special edition, Holiday dolls.

My princess has seen that 2007 Christmas Barbie, and don't you know she HAS to have it? All $40 of it?

Now- I am not opposed to buying her a Barbie doll. Nor am i opposed to spending $40 on a gift for her. But a $40 Barbie...? ugggghh...

She talks about it. To anyone and everyone that asks what she wants for Christmas. Including Santa.
I can see her little face that morning, after coming out and finding her PINK scooter (she wants purple which I can't find in the 3 wheeled model. sigh), and then opening her gifts, and eating her candy. We are all glowing and smiling and sipping cocoa- when Lucy asks tearfully "Where's my Barbie?"
:insert screaming, tearing out my own hair, crying, "tried to make it all perfect" mommy here:

So today I sent Cotton to Wal-Mart. "Get the Barbie," I told him "before they are all gone."

I am battling internal demons that say "you just wasted $40. That thing will look like crap in 2 days." Shut up demons. The look on her face will be worth $40THOUSAND.
In years to come, a damned doll won't be enough to please her. To make her entire holiday.

I can see her at 25, crying to her therapist: "All I wanted was the Christmas Barbie in the red princess dress. Was that so much to ask for? Wasn't I a good girl? Why didn't my mother love me?"

And maybe she won't kill this one... at least not as quickly...

I can hope, right?

4 comments:

Shannon said...

Awwww, such a good mommy. Lucy will love it.

You could do what I do and re-dress Barbies on a daily basis? ;o)

Anonymous said...

What about explaining that *some* Barbies are extra special and shouldn't be played with? Of course then you have to find the cheaper Christmas version typically sold at Tom Thumb so she still has her doll.

We have collectable Barbies and play Barbies. So I have done this so she could have one to play with too. I admit, though, it was very interesting explaining why she couldn't play with the first Barbie made when my Grandma sent it to me.

Rebecca said...

You are funny!!

I would buy it, too, but probably do like Summer said! :)

Anonymous said...

lol, this one jkust cracked me up!