Friday, June 15, 2007

Her first broken heart

Poor Lucy.
I'm a horrible mother. I never imagined that she was capable of so much grief!

Jack-Jack had to go live with future Auntie Ashley.
For a variety of reasons, things just weren't going well with him here.

I talked this all over with Jacob, and he agreed that it would be good to let Ashley have Jack.
However, I did NOT consult Lucy on the matter. She's just a baby, right? She probably wouldn't even notice that he was gone...

Wrong. DEAD WRONG!

As soon as she caught onto what Uncle Bonk was doing (loading Jack and all of his belongings into the car), she buried her face in the couch and refused to talk to me.
After they left, she WAILED and sobbed for over an hour. :-(
"I want Baby Jack-Jack to STAY. I want BJJ to come back to ME!" She even cried out for him in her sleep!

Needless to say- my heart broke right along with hers.
How could I be so inconsiderate? How could I dismiss her opinion on something like this? She had no warning. She had no input. I just ripped her little dog from her loving hands. :-(
I am a shitty mom, folks. At least I feel like one today.

Lesson learned.
My baby is NOT "just a baby." She deserves to be involved in decisions, and feel like her voice is heard. She honestly loves, and grieves. She is capable of much more emotion than I thought.. somewhere along the way she grew up on me, and I failed to notice!

Of course, while she cried over the puppy, I rocked her to sleep and sang to help her calm down. She slept in my arms, and wrapped her tiny fingers around mine. She's not all *that* big it seems....

Today she asked for Jack a few times, but no tears. She loved on Emmitt. We talked about the baby kittens that we are expecting, and that made her smile. She also told me more than once that we need to "go to the baby store and get a sister." :-)

The storm has passed. She's my little ray of sunshine once again!

3 comments:

Brandie said...

Awwww poor Lucy!!!

Girl, you are NOT a horrible mom...you are a GREAT mom...who would have thought she'd have that reaction...
We missed you guys today! We ended up not going to a playarea at all and everyone played at my house...no pool...:( fun though!

Nicole said...

Awww, poor Lucy. But, you had no way of knowing she'd react that way! :hug You're an awesome mom!

Anonymous said...

I think we all go through a stage with our 2nd (or 3rd) where we realize "OHHH, they are at THAT age now". All of us. I still tend to consult my oldest more than my youngest. Something I'm forever working on. *sigh*