Basically for the 13 nights leading up to Christmas, Children in Iceland leave their shoes in the windowsill, and every night a different troll will visit and leave them a small gift.
I told Cotton about this, and he was gung-ho! The more traditions, the more fun! And I am all about magic in this house, the more magic the better while I can get away with it. :-)
So on Thursday we told the kids about the Yule Lads, apologized for not knowing about this sooner ;-), and we did some googling to get the facts.
We had missed the first few trolls, but the troll for Thursday night was Askasleikir or "Bowl Licker." The kids left their shoes in Sam's window (Lucy doesn't want trolls in her room!), and left him some notes...


Bowl Licker did not bring anyone a ds. He brought Sam a little donkey (he calls it Hee-Haw), and the big kids got paddle balls. Oh, and everyone got a sucker.
Last night Door Slammer brought play-doh for the bigs, and Sammy got a sheep.
Tonight we are due for Skyrgámur, or Skyr-Gobbler. What is Skyr? Well, it is pretty much yogurt.
I am learning so much! Haha!
Enjoy a couple of pre- and post-Yule Lad shoe shots!



No comments:
Post a Comment